Watch Our Latest Webinar Here
An outbreak of respiratory illness (COVID-19 Disease) caused by a novel (new) coronavirus (named 'SARS-CoV-2') was first detected in Wuhan City, Hubei Province, China. To date, thousands of 'SARS-CoV-2' (Coronavirus) infections have been reported in China and in a growing number of international locations. Most of the 'SARS-CoV-2' (Coronavirus) infections have been associated with travel from Wuhan and appear to be spreading from person-to-person with close contact.
The virus, from the same family as SARS and MERS viruses, causes respiratory illness with infections ranging from mild to severe illness, and in some cases, death. Initial data suggests that this virus may have emerged from an animal reservoir.
Symptoms Of Infection
- Stuffy head / Runny nose
Method Of Transmission
The SARS-CoV-2 (Coronavirus) is thought to spread mainly from person-to-person, by either close contact with one another (within c.a. 1 meter / 3 feet) or through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs or sneezes. Transmission may also be possible from touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching one's mouth, nose or eyes.
General Precautions For Avoiding Risks Of This Type Of Infection
- Seek medical attention if you have been to the seafood market in Wuhan or in contact with people that have been to the market and have the symptoms listed
- Monitor advice and news from public health bodies and government sources
- Observe good hygiene and infection prevention practices
- Disinfect vehicles and locations where animals are housed or transported
- Reduce contact with animals or humans that may be infected
- Wear protective equipment where risk of infection is confirmed
- Perform hand hygiene regularly
- Perform cleaning and disinfection regularly
How Diversey Can Help
- Cleaning and hygiene protocols, supplemented with outbreak readiness programs
- Tools and resources to help ensure key infection prevention protocols are followed
- Effective product solutions for infection prevention and control
Outbreak Prevention Informational Guides and Support Materials Available For Download
- Our outbreak readiness documents explain the basics of Infection Control from the healthcare perspective and how these concepts can be applied to non-healthcare facilities in areas related to environmental surface cleaning and disinfection and hand hygiene.
- Diversey’s Well Hotel program focuses on infection prevention to ensure guest and staff safety. It protects hotel brand and business through a good understanding of infection prevention and outbreak control and operates with clear procedures, effective products and efficient staff training. The program includes white papers and brochures on implementing the right cleaning and sanitation solutions on the hotel's premises.
- Use our hand hygiene poster and charts around your facility to raise awareness of good hand hygiene.
Other Important Links
- COVID-19 Disease - Global Cases Interactive Map by Johns Hopkins CSSE
- CDC - COVID-19 Disease
- WHO - COVID-19 Disease
- APIC - COVID-19 Disease
- WHO - Advice For The Public
- WHO - Q&A on coronaviruses (COVID-19)
- CDC - Interim Guidance for Healthcare Professionals
- CDC - Preparedness Checklists
- CDC - Care in the Home Guidance
- CDC - Infection Control Interim Guidelines (including the definition of Persons Under Investigation)
- CDC - Guidelines for Isolation Precautions: Preventing Transmission of Infectious Agents in Healthcare Settings
- CDC - COVID-19 Disease, information for travelers (including healthcare workers)
- WHO - ePROTECT Respiratory Infections